Sunday, March 28, 2010

About David's name.

(The Significant of my Name)

*************************************************


The most popular significance of the name David comes from the Hebrew word “dwd” meaning “beloved” while in Arabic it comes from the word “wid” meaning “love”. David... beloved and love in two beautiful languages. David... the name that travels through time between the ancient and the world of today... effortlessly.
David is a biblical name. The first David was one of the most remarkable personalities in the Hebrew Scriptures. David was a shepherd, musician, poet, soldier, statesman and the first king of the united Kingdom of Israel; but he was also violent, ambitious, vindictive and lustful; in other words, a full fleshed human being in search of beauty and achieving power with no remorse.
David is my name because my first love, my mother, called me to supper with it, making me feel unique among my brothers and sisters or just telling me with her sweet voice how much she loved me. David was also the name my father would recite when he taught me how to stand straight like a man; or on Sunday morning he would say: “David, please my son, bring me the newspaper,” and there sitting on his lap he would read to me the comic strips. Sometimes I did not understand all the jokes but I would laugh just to be part of this remarkable man’s world. Despite all of this, after finding out I was not the only David in the world, I felt betrayed.
Longing for the loss of what I call my identity until the tender age of four was the beginning of my battle for individualism. Like the legendary King David, I had to conquer Goliath with one stone. Lost and confused, I heard that name, David, called sweetly, bitterly or happily but each time I turned my face looking wishfully, without preamble, reality would hit me; it is not me who had been called, it was another David. Sadly, I realized after all, that I was not a king. I was just a commoner, and as a commoner, it would take me more than one rock to kill my own giant.
Suddenly... David... I heard in soft whispers from the lips of my first kiss. Da-vid! Da-vid! Da-vid! from the cheers of my whole team. David, Mr., written in very formal and neat letters from prestigious colleges that want not another David, but Me. Suddenly, the world seems like such a perfect place. Suddenly, my name does not seem like such a waste. Suddenly,David is my name and as it always been. Finally, I understood that my mother and father gave me a unique name that only I can make great because they taught me how. Suddenly, and out of nowhere, I was a child and a king with one stone conquering a giant, killing Goliath. My name is David.



by David Nores


*************************************************

No comments: